Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Stop! Don't throw out the Cranberry Sauce

CRANBERRY-SAUCE BREAD

My husband was so kind to do the shopping for me this week, you know the last minute stuff you just think you wont survive without for the Thanksgiving meal. I had a list...he didn't use it, so I ended up with a few things I really didn't want. One of those things was canned cranberry sauce. I already had one can (which really is enough for my family since we are not all that particularly fond of it) and now I owned 2 additional cans of sauce. Isn't it fun to have so much help with the shopping & in the kitchen? I hope you were blessed on the dinner preparations as I was. During preparations I noticed my teenage girls, who are a tremendous help to me, had opened two cans of cranberry sauce. My first thought was 'Well I hope our guest really love it'. My second thought was 'This is going to be too much cranberry sauce', especially when I didn't think we'd even finish one. However it was set on the table along with everything else.


What to do with the leftover cranberry sauce? 
We so wanted to use the leftover cranberry sauce instead of throwing it out.
Remember the saying "Waste  not, want not"? so I try to not be wasteful with GOD's provisions.
CRANBERRY-SAUCE BREAD

We made a scrumptious quick bread. Revised from another quick bread recipe which called for zucchini. I love substituting ingredients don't you? I often tell my children who ask "What's for dinner"? that we are having a concoction.
Here's our recipe:


3 C. Flour—spoon measured
1 t. Salt
1 t. Baking soda
½ t. Baking powder                                  
1 ½ t. Cinnamon       
2 Large Eggs
2 C Sugar—Reduce to taste
2 C Cranberry Sauce
2/3 C Canola oil
2 t. Vanilla

16 oz. Pineapple-drained 


Measure flour into Lg. bowl, and whisk together; salt, baking soda, baking powder, & cinnamon.
In a separate bowl; mix eggs, stirring after each until frothy. Add sugar, cranberry sauce, oil, & vanilla to eggs.
Pour into flour mixture, blend until ‘just moist’.
Fold in pineapple.
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 2 loaf pans, spoon in batter. Bake 1 hour, test for doneness with a toothpick, when finished. Cool completely on wire rack.

You have leftovers? Instead if throwing them out, create a concoction for dinner.

See ya
Connie




No comments: